Welcome to the 2016-2017 school year at Renn Elementary! The PTO is looking forward to a busy and fun time in the coming months, and we would be very happy to have you join us!
The Renn PTO (Parent Teacher Organization) has four officers. Alicia Bennett is president, Stacy Ferraro is vice-president, Kristina Hartman is treasurer, and Marsha Whitmoyer is secretary. The PTO is open to all parents, grandparents, guardians, family members, and teachers who are willing to help make the student’s school experience at Renn more enjoyable and fulfilling. The PTO cannot have successful fundraising activities and projects without the help of MANY volunteers. We are asking that everyone step forward to help in some way. It can be as simple as placing a pledge for the walk-a-thon, donating baked goods, or giving an hour or two of your time to help with various events. Every bit helps!
We have a full calendar of events planned for the year. The Renn PTO raises funds to pay for the “extras” that the school district does not provide. These “extras” give the students the opportunity to create many special school memories that they would not have without us. ALL OF THE MONEY WE RAISE STAYS AT RENN TO BENEFIT OUR STUDENTS AND STAFF!
PTO ACTIVITIES CALENDAR
Please mark your calendars with the following dates.
- Scholastic Fall Book Fair – Wednesday, October 5th-7th
- School Picture Day – Wednesday, September 14th
- Walk-a-thon (Rain or Shine) – Friday, October 7th
- School Mall Kickoff – October 3rd
- Red Ribbon Week – Monday, October 24th-Friday, October 28th
- Christmas Shop – December
Events that will be scheduled in the future are cross-country skiing (January), yearbook pictures, Bloomsburg Theatre Ensemble assembly (spring), field trips, Spring Book Fair, Spring Fling, and Student Appreciation Day. With so many activities we need all the help we can get! All parents, grandparents, guardians, and family members are invited to help. Do you want to volunteer but aren’t sure what we are asking you to do? Below is a brief description of our major activities and what kind of help is needed.
- Book Fairs – Volunteers needed to set up, pack up, and assist student shoppers.
- School Picture Day – Help is needed to get classes to the photographer, make sure each student’s hair is neat, and keep students in order.
- Walk-a-thon – A lot of help is needed to set up, keep track of the amount of laps walked, hand out snacks at the refreshment stand, and clean up.
- Christmas Shop – Volunteers are needed to shop in order to stock the shop, set up, help the student shoppers, and pack up.
- Yearbook – Need volunteer photographers for each grade or class.
- Spring Fling – Donations of food and volunteers to help with games and activities.
- Student Appreciation Day – Help to set up and serve a picnic lunch for students and staff.
- Baked Goods – Needed for Teacher Appreciation, Student Appreciation and other special events.
It is sometimes the little things that make a BIG difference! The PTO collects BoxTops for Education, Labels for Education, Coke Reward points, Sunny D caps, and ink cartridges from printers and old cell phones (Kash for Kids). There are containers in the school lobby to deposit your donations. Marsha Whitmoyer is our Box Tops for education coordinator. We receive 10 cents for each BoxTop we collect, and it is amazing how quickly it adds up! This is the last year for Labels for Education. The Sunny D caps include bringing in actual caps from Sunny D bottles. Our PTO also participates in the Shoparoo program. Shoparoo is an online program where you enter your receipts after you have shopped. Alison George is our coordinator for the Kash for Kids program. We greatly appreciate the time and effort that Alison and Marsha put into these fundraisers. Also if you shop at Giant, don’t forget to go online and register your card for our school and we will get a percentage of your receipt. In addition if you eat at Red Robin, you can go online and sign up for their Burgers for Better Schools program. Renn students truly appreciate you taking the time to collect these items!
The PTO’s main fundraiser is the walk-a-thon scheduled for Friday, October 7, 2016. This has been a very successful fundraiser for us the past few years, and we are hoping to do as well this year, if not better! This fundraiser is vital to providing all the field trips and activities for our students. Our Renn families have done a fantastic job of supporting this fundraiser in the past. Please keep it up!!!
The PTO has regularly scheduled meetings on the 2nd Monday of each month, unless a holiday occurs on that day. Then it will occur on the following Monday. Our meeting dates are September 12th, October 17th, November 14th, December 12th, January 9th, February 13th, March 13th, April 10th and May 8th at 3:15 in the school library. Please join us; we would welcome your participation!!
We also have a Facebook page, Carl G. Renn PTO. Look for updates on this page about the upcoming events at our school!
With the support of many great families, the Renn PTO was able to provide many wonderful opportunities to our students. We are very appreciative of every donation that is given to our school, whether it is your time, food items, and/or money! To give you an idea of where your dollars go, I have added up several of our biggest expenses:
Field trips: K-6 grade, including bussing = $4,209.00
Bloomsburg Theater Ensemble production = $447.00
Book-It Skating Party = $352.00
Of course there are many other expenses that are covered throughout the year, including graduations, cross-country skiing (weather permitting), student appreciation day, and supporting the teachers/staff with classroom expenses.
All of this and more are made possible by two major fundraisers: the Walk-a-Thon in October and the Spring Fling in May. We also hold smaller fundraisers throughout the year to supplement our account.
In 2015, the Walk-a-Thon raised approximately $8,600.00 after expenses.
In May, the Spring Fling raised approximately $2,700.00 after expenses.
In addition to the regular activities, the PTO is hoping to cover some new projects that will make Renn Elementary School an even greater place:
- We are currently working on purchasing two Buddy Benches for the playgrounds!
- We are currently looking into purchasing a new grill that can be used by the PTO for cookouts & Student Appreciation Day!
- We have also discussed several school beautification projects, both inside and outside the building!
- Once again, we thank you for your support of each fundraiser. Without you, we would NOT have been able to provide “extra” activities and materials for the students. We hope that you will continue to support the Renn PTO this year, beginning with the upcoming Walk-a-Thon in October.
If you have any questions or concerns please feel free to contact any one of the PTO officers. Our contact information is as follows:
Alicia Bennett, President
Stacy Ferraro, Vice President
Kristina Hartman, Treasurer
Marsha Whitmoyer, Secretary
We are looking forward to working together and having a great year ahead-please join us!!